"Lochgilphead, police burgh, Glassary par., and quoad sacra par., partly also in South Knapdale par., Argyllshire - par., pop. 2381; burgh, at head of Loch Gilp, and near Crinan Canal, 2 miles N. of Ardrishaig, pop. 1489; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks; the weaving of woollen cloth is carried on, and many of the inhabitants are engaged in fishing; Lochgilphead has steamboat communication with Glasgow, Inverness, Skye, Oban, &c."
Extract from Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887)
- Churches in Lochgilphead (NR862882):
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Lochgilphead area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
1861 1674 1871 1642 1881 1489 1891 1320
(q. s. Parish)
1881 2381 1891 2252