"Oban, parl. burgh, seaport, and quoad sacra par., Kilmore and Kilbride par., Argyllshire. 92 miles NW. of Glasgow, 136 miles NW. of Edinburgh, and 494 miles NW. of London by rail - quoad sacra par., pop. 3153; parl. burgh, pop. 3991; town, pop. 4046; P.O., T.O., 5 Banks, 2 newspapers; is finely situated on a semi-circular bay, well sheltered in front by the island of Kerrera, and has lofty mountains in the background. Oban has become the headquarters of tourists to the Western Highlands, and is the starting place for numerous steamer routes. There is 1 distillery. Oban was made a police burgh in 1802. It is one of the Ayr District of Parl Burghs, which returns 1 member."
Extract from Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887