"Onich, a village in Kilmallie parish, Inverness-shire, at the northern side of the entrance to Loch Leven, 2½ miles WNW of Ballachulish ferry. It has a post office and a public school. Slate quarrying was begun here on the Lochiel estate in 1872."
Extract from Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, c. 1895
- (Glencoe &) Ballachulish in Duror QSP in 'Lismore & Appin Parish' (525) is in Argyll however you will need to search for it in Inverness-shire as Ballachulish.
- Ballachulish in the Inverness-shire part of 'Ballachulish & Corran of Ardgour' QSP (506) is indexed under Inverness-shire as Ballachulish.
- Ardgour is indexed under Argyll.
See under History below.
- Churches in Onich (NN025615):
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Onich area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
The Ballachulish area (Ballachulish, Ballachulish & Corran of Ardgour, Lismore & Appin, Onich & Ballachulish) can perhaps be described as one of Argyll's peculiarities. Historically, the name Ballachulish is proper to the area on the North side of Loch Leven now known as North Ballachulish. However the name was later appropriated to describe the slate quarries developed at East Laroch on the South side of Loch Leven, and eventually adopted for the whole of the former Laroch village. See Wikipedia - Ballachulish.
This has implications for those searching for not only the physical presence of their ancestors, but also those searching for relevant records. See the note under Census above.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.