"Portnahaven, a village and a quoad sacra parish in Kilchoman parish, Islay island, Argyllshire. The vilage stands at the south-western extremity of Islay, adjacent to the islet and lighthouse of Oversay, at Rhynns Point, 10½ miles NW by W of the Mull of Oa, 15½ SW of Bridgend, and 24 SW of Port-Askaig. It occupies a picturesque, sheltered, rocky nook, on a shore often lashed with tempestuous billows; and has a post and money order office, an Established church built at the expense of Government, a Free church, and a new public school. The quoad sacra parish was constituted first by the ecclesiastical courts, and next in 849 by the court of teinds; it is in the presbytery of Islay and Jura and synod of Argyll. The minister's. stipend is £150. Pop. of village (1871) 411, (1881) 361, (1891) 345; of q. s. parish (1871) 979, (1881) 860, (1891) 869."
Extract from Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (2nd Edition), c.1896
- Churches in Portnahaven (NR166522):
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Portnahaven area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
1871 411 1881 361 1891 345
1871 979 1881 860 1891 869