Sunart, a district in the extreme N of Argyllshire. Its length is 12 miles. and its breadth 6. It is bounded on the N by Loch Shiel. on the E by Ardgour, on the S by Loch Sunart, and on the W by Ardnamurchan. See ARDNAMURCHAN and SUNART, LOCH.
Sunart, Loch, a sea-loch of Argyllshire, winding 19½ miles eastward, from the northern entrance of the Sound of Mull. to within 5 miles of Loch Linnhe. It separates Ardnamurchan and Sunart on the N from Mull and Morven on the S. Its breadth, for the first 5 miles, is generally upwards of 2 miles, but afterwards varies between 3 and 11 furlongs. It contains a number of islets, the chief of which are ORANSAY, Carnich, Riska, Dungallan, Garve, and More. Glen Tarbert - a rough pastoral valley - extends from its head to Loch Linnhe, and brings down to it a parliamentary road from Corran Ferry, whence the communication is continued to Fort William. Loch Sunart, though little visited, possesses considerable scenic beauty."
Extract from Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, c. 1896
- Churches in Sunart (NM778604):
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Sunart area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
Year Population --- --- --- ---