"BARR, a parish, with a village of the same name, in the Carrick district of the county of Ayr, Scotland, 18 miles to the S. of Ayr. It was constituted a separate parish in 1653, before which time it formed part of the parishes of Girvan and Dailly. It is chiefly a moorland district, with hills rising to the height of 2,000 feet, and contains abundance of limestone and freestone. The village of Barr is situated on the south of the river Stinchar, 7 miles from Girvan. The living, which is in the presbytery of Ayr, is of the value of £231, and in the patronage of the crown. There is also a Free church. A fair is held in May."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003