COLMONELL - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"COLMONELL, a parish in the district of Carrick, in the county of Ayr, Scotland. It is 20 miles long, from Galloway westward to the Firth of Clyde, with an extreme breadth of 7 miles. The valleys, comprising much of the surface, are fertile. Knockdolian, a conical hill of considerable height, is a conspicuous landmark to vessels entering the Firth of Clyde. The hills on both sides of the Stinchar consist for the most part of mountain limestone. The Duchess de Coigny is the principal landowner. By far the greater part of the surface is moorland or pasture. The principal mansions are Drumlamford, Penmore, Knockdolian, Dalgerrock, and Ballochmorie. Craigneil is a fine ruined castle of the 13th century. The various roads from Girvan to Galloway traverse the parish. The village of Colmonell stands on the right bank of the Stinchar, 5 miles N.E. of Ballantrae. This parish is in the presbytery of Stranraer, and in the patronage of the Duchess de Coigny. The minister has a stipend of £257. There is a chapel in connection with the Establishment at Barrhill, served by a missionary at a salary of £80. There are also in the parish two Free churches an Original Secession, and a Reformed Presbyterian church. Fairs are held in February, May, August, and November."
"BARB-HILL, a village in the parish of Colmonell, in the county of Ayr, Scotland, 7 miles from Barr. Here is a Free church, and cattle markets are held on the fourth Friday of April, September, and October."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]