"DALRY, a parish in the district of Cunninghame, in the county of Ayr, Scotland. It contains a town of its own name, and is bounded by Kilbirnie, Beith, Kilwinning, Ardrossan, West Kilbride, and Largs. It extends about 10 miles from N. to S., with a breadth varying from 1½ mile to 9 miles. The surface consists chiefly of four valleys with their intervening heights, and is watered by the Rye, the Caaf, and the Garnock. The uplands towards the N. attain considerable elevation, Baidland Hill, between the Caaf and the Rye, having a height of 950 feet, and Carwinning Hill, eastward of the Rye, rising 640 feet above sea-level. Ironstone of very rich quality is abundant, and is largely smelted by the Ayrshire, Glengarnock, Eglinton, and Blair iron companies. Limestone and coal are also largely worked. The land is divided among numerous proprietors, the chief of them being Blair of Blair and the Earl of Glasgow. The Glasgow and South-Western railway intersects the parish. This parish is in the presbytery of Irvine, and synod of Glasgow and Ayr, and in the patronage of Blair of Blair. The minister has a stipend of £232. There are in the town and barony of Kersland two other places of worship connected with the Established Church: also a Free church, an United Presbyterian church, and a Roman Catholic chapel. Prior to the Reformation, the church of Dalry be longed to the monastery of Kilwinning, and was served by a vicar. The town of Dalry is situated on the right or W. bank of the Garnock, between the confluences of the Rye and the Caaf with that river. It is 16 miles from Paisley, 14 from Kilmarnock, and 9 from Saltcoats. It dates its origin from the beginning of the 17th century, and has since attained considerable prosperity, the principal manufacture being weaving. Population in 1851, 2,706; in 1861, 4,232. Houses in 1851, 240; in 1861, 347."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003