Downtime: The Genuki web service will be unavailable on Tues 24 Apr from 10:00 BST for approximately two hours whilst some software updates are installed.

Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Pigot 1837

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

Pigot 1837

1837 - Ayrshire Directory
Pigot and Co

Is a small town, in the parish of its name, and district of Cunningham; 69 miles w by s of Edinburgh, 25 sw of Glasgow, 16¼ ssw of Paisley, 5 sw of Beith, 4 n of Kilwinning and 7 n by e of Saltcoats; pleasantly situate on a rising ground, surrounded by the rivers Caaf, Rye and Garnock, which run in different directions so near the village, as to give it, when the streams are swelled with rain, the appearance of an island.

The branches of manufacture existing in the town and parish are those of cotton and carpet yarn with silk and harness weaving, in which many of both sexes are employed; while a considerable number of females are occupied in sewing and embroidering, usually denominated "Ayrshire needlework" for the Glasgow and Paisley manufacturers. The dressing and spinning of flax is likewise carried on to some extent, and lime and coal abound in the neighbourhood.

At the beginning of the last century, Dalry village contained only about six dwellings, and a population not exceeding 100; at present there are about 1,000 inhabitants, and the town consists of five streets, three of which diverge from a centre forming a small square; many of the houses are well built, and the shops are neat. There are several public houses for the accommodation of travellers, and two which belong to the grade of Inns; the one called the "Crown" is the principal. The town is lighted by gas, by a Company formed in 1834. There are three public libraries in the parish, viz, the "Dalry Library", the Dalry Church Library" and the "United Secession Library".

At Loansbrea is a reasonably fine spring of water; and from a situation near the church is seen, to the west, a beautiful natural cascade, which has a curious and extraordinary appearance during the continuance of frost. At Auchenflech, on the estate of Blair, two miles from Dalry, is a cave, evidently the work of nature, and well deserving the examination of visitors to the district; it is about 183 feet in length, and from 5 to 12 in height; the roof is encrusted with petrefactions, and over the entrance projects a vast rock, 30 feet by 27; its exterior resembles Gothic arched work; near the middle it expands into a spacious chamber, 35 feet long by 12 broad, and 12 feet in height; in former times popular superstition peopled it with elves - it accordingly received the appellation of "elf-house"; in later days, under the arbitrary and treacherous reign of Charles II., it afforded a refuge to the covenanters of this parish from the violence of their infuriated persecutors.

In Dalry parish also is "Camp-hill", where the Scottish army is said to have encamped previous to the battle of Largs, in 1263.

Dalry bestows the title of baron upon the eldest son of the Earl of Glasgow.

The weekly market is held on Thursday, and there are fairs in January, May and July.


James Stirrat, Post master - Letters from Beith, Glasgow &c arrive every morning at a quarter past ten, and are despatched every afternoon at a quarter before four.

Blair, Col William of Blair Hamilton Mrs Parkhill
Henderson Rev. David Green bank Johnstone Rev Thomas manse
Miller William Esq of Monkcastle Mushet Rev James Rose bank
Smith Ebenizer Esq of Pitcan Smith John Esq of Swindridge muir
Barr, Henry Hoag, Robert
Parochial School, Wm Harvie - master Wallace, Adam
Barclay, William Chalmers, John
Currie, Archibald Harvie, Janet
King, Janet McEwing, James
McNair, James Spiers, Hugh
Stirrat, James  
Blair, John Hunter, John and James
Reilly, Hugh  
Alexander, William Bone, David
Brackenridge, James Love, William Tennant
McDonald, Malcolm McMillan, Daniel
Miller, William Montgomerie, James
Montgomerie, John Montgomerie, Robert
Smith, David  
Allan, Robert (& turner)/ Boyd, John
Longwell, James McKimm, Samuel
Ninnian, William  
Harvie, William (and Auctioneer Russell, James
Stirrat, James  
Aitken, Andrew Gibson, Thomas
Riddet, William Rodger, James
Stirrat, Francis Stirrat, Helen
Stirrat, John  
Crown, Janet Craig King's Arms, Peter Colligan
Cochran, Ann & Co Hogarth, Martha
Stirrat, James  
Craig, John Beadland mill Gray, Robert Blair mill/
Hogg, Thomas Toft's mill Kerr, James Doggartland
King, William Galgarvan mill Thomson, David Craig mill
Archibald, Elizabeth Blair, Margaret
Boyle, Magdalen Cumming, Isabella
Mackie, Christina Montgomerie, My/
Reid, Isabella Reilly, Janet
Sloan, Mary Spiers, Elizabeth
Christie, Patrick Gibson, William
Cumming, John Duff, Alexander
Duff, John Love, David
McKinnon, Chas Sillers, Henry
Wolf, George  
Hamilton, William Warden, James
Aitken, Andrew Barr, John
Gibson, Thomas Kerr, John
Montgomerie, Jn Roger, Hugh
Stirrat, Allan Stirrat, John
Thomson, Wm (Black Bull)  
Biggart, Thomas Bridge-end mill  
WRIGHTS (see cabinet makers &c
WRITERS [i.e. lawyers]
Clarke, John McCosh, James (& agent for the Insurance Company of Scotland)
Dormin, Neil Earthenware dealer Harvie, James cooper
Kerr, Hugh turner Auchingrae Kerr, Robert Woollen carder Doggartland
Kirkwood, Thomas flax dresser Morris, John stocking manufacturer
Muir, Andrew manager of the gas works Parke, William saddler
Pollock, John stone mason Small, Robert blacksmith
Spiers, Hugh bookseller, stationer and librarian Stirrat, James tow and woollen carder
Stirrat, John blacksmith  


To Glasgow: the "Fair Trader" (from Saltcoats) calls at the Crown Inn every morning (Sunday excepted) at eight; and the "Herald" calls at the King's Arms every evening (Sunday excepted) at seven; both for through Beith and Paisley.

To Saltcoats and Ardrossan: the "Herald" (from Glasgow) calls at the King's Arms every morning (Sunday excepted) at nine; and the "Fair Trader" calls at the Crown Inn every evening (Sunday excepted) at half past seven.


To Glasgow Robert Crawford and Hugh Roger every Tuesday and Friday.

This transcript was kindly provided by Keith Muirhead from Queensland.