"Dalrymple. A village, a holm and a woodland in Kyle, on the N.E. border of Carrick. They are situated on a "peninsula" jutting into Carrick, fully a mile and a half in length and created by a V-shaped bending in the River Doon. Although actually in Kyle, the Dalrymples are historically asociated with Carrick, only the narrow channel of the river separating them from Cassilis House, Auchendrane, etc. A parish in Kyle takes its name from the village."
"The name cames from the Gaelic 'dail chruim puil' literally translated as 'the meadow by the sharply bending river'."
"Dalrymple is the original home of the historic Scottish family which derived its name from these meadows. From that family the Earls of Stair descended. The barony of Dalrymple was created in the 13th century. In the following century - about 1371 - 1377 - the barony passed to John Kennedy de Dunure, the ancestor of both the Bargany and Cassilis Kennedys. The Marquis of Ailsa, scion of the Cassilis branch and chief of the clan Kennedy is the principal proprietor today."
Carrick Gallovidian by J, Kevan McDowell FSA Scot, published in 1947 by Homer McCrick, 236 High Street, Ayr.