DALRYMPLE, Ayrshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"DALRYMPLE, a parish in the district of Kyle, in the county of Ayr, Scotland. It contains a village of its own name, and is bounded by the parishes of Ayr Colyton Dalmellington, Straiten, Kirkmichael, and Maybole. It measures 7 miles from E. to W., with an average breadth of 2 miles. The surface is undulating, and is generally cultivated, and the higher elevations command extensive views. The river Doon, which bounds it on the S. and W., flows between wooded banks and fertile haughs. The Marquis of Ailsa receives more than half the rental, and Oswald of Auchencruive nearly a fourth. Skeldon and Hollybush are the principal mansions. At the former are six oaks, believed to be 300 years old. This parish was anciently traversed by the Roman road between the firths of Solway and Clyde. The Dalrymples, the ancient proprietors of the barony of Dalrymple, held it until the reign of Robert II., when it was acquired by John Kennedy, of Dunmore, in whose family it continued till the reign of Charles II. The Dalrymples, who played an important part in the history of their country, are now represented by the noble family of Stair. The Dalmellington and Ayr railway traverses the parish. The village of Dalrymple is pleasantly situated on the Doon, where that river has a considerable bend, about halfway between Ayr and Maybole. It is much admired by strangers for its neatness. This parish is in the presbytery of Ayr, and synod of Glasgow and Ayr, and in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of about £270. There is also a Free Church preaching station."
"DOONHOLM, a village in the parish of Dalrymple, in the county of Ayr, Scotland, 3 miles S. of Ayr."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]