"Dalrymple. A village, a holm and a woodland in Kyle, on the N.E. border of Carrick. They are situated on a "peninsula" jutting into Carrick, fully a a mile and a half in length and created by a V-shaped bending in the River Doon. Although actually in Kyle, the Dalrymples are historically asociated with Carrick, only the narrow channel of the river separating them from Cassilis House, Auchendrane, etc. A parish in Kyle takes its name from the village."
"The name cames from the Gaelic 'dail chruim puil' literally translated as 'the meadow by the sharply bening river'."
"Dalrymple is the original home of the historic Scottosh family which derived its name from these meadows. From that family the Earls of Stair descended. The barony of Dalrymple was created in the 13th century. In the following century - about 1371 - 1377 - the barony passed to John Kennedt de Dunure, the ancestor of both the Bargany and Cassilis Kennedys. The Marquis of Ailsa, scion of the Cassilis branch and chief of the clan Kennedy is the principal proprietor today."
Carrick Gallovidian by J, Kevan McDowell FSA Scot, published in 1947 by Homer McCrick, 236 High Street, Ayr.
Dalrymple today is small parish which includes the village of that name and lies between the parishes of Ayr and Coylton to the north, and Kirkmichael, Straiton and Dalmellington to the South. Dalrymple village is a sizable place on a cross-roads of the B7034 and the B742. It straddles the River Doon.
Hollybush comprises of a couple of houses just off the A713 Ayr to Dalmellington Road. Near by are Skeldon House, an impressive Georgian mansion, and Skeldon Mills which was rebuilt in the early 1960s. The old Hollybush House used to be an hotel and is now a home for ex-servicemen and women. Also nearby is Balgreen Farm, famous for its Clydesdale horses. Just to the east of Hollybush are the Craigs of Kyle which offer an excellent view of much of the county on a good day.
An 1837 description of the parish, including a listing of the key personalities of the town, is given in this extract from Pigot's Directory for Ayrshire. The transcript was provided by Keith Muirhead from the Sunshine Coast of Queensland.
- The transcription of the section for Dalrymple from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.