DREGHORN - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"DREGHORN, a parish in the county of Ayr, Scotland. It contains a village of its own name, and is of an irregular shape, extending 8 miles in length from S.W. to N.E., with a breadth varying from three-quarters of a mile to 2 miles. It is bounded on the E. by Kilmaurs, on the S. by Dundonald, on the W. and N.W. by Irvine and Stewarton, and on the N.E. by Fenwick. It includes the ancient parishes of Dreghorn and Peirston, which were united in 1668. At the S.W. end, which is only a mile from the sea, the surface is flat, but rises inland. The soil is fertile, and the whole parish is well cultivated and enclosed. Coal and limestone are worked, and freestone is found. The chief mansions are Annock Lodge, Peirston, Warwickhill, Cunninghamhead, and Righouse. The parish is traversed by the Glasgow and South-Western railway, and by the road from Irvine to Kilmarnock, and from Irvine to Glasgow. The village of Dreghorn is at the S.W. end of the parish, on an eminence overlooking the Firth of Clyde and the coast of Ayrshire. It is 2 miles from Irvine, on the road to Kilmarnock. This parish is in the presbytery of Irvine, and synod of Glasgow and Ayr, and in the patronage of the Earl of Eglinton. The minister has a stipend of £260. There is a Free church at Peirston."
"PEIRSTOUN, an ancient parish in the county of Ayr, Scotland, now joined to Dreghorn."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]