"The Parish Church of Dundonald, situated near the head of the village, was built in 1803, and contains 630 sittings. It is a plain structure, graced by an elegant spire, in which there is a clock, and a bell. It occupies the site of a very ancient religious edifice which belonged to the monks of Paisley. The church was granted by the founder of Dalmulin convent, to that institution, founded in 1229. Within the walls, were interred the remains of William, first Earl of Dundonald, who died in 1686."
"The bell of the old church is an antiquarian curiosity, and is now in the possession of the Free Church of Dundonald. It bears the following inscription:
"Sancte Egidie, ora pro nobis, anno domini, MCCCLXXXX", that reads in English:
"Saint Egidius, pray for us. In the year of our Lord, 1390."
"The burying-ground is immediately behind the church. It does not contain any tombstones calling for special note, the oldest discernable date being 1737. The session records date from 1602, and the first volume, extending over a period of 40 years, contains a great deal of parochial information that is curious and interesting. Among entries of this kind are minutes of the trial of Patrick Lowrie, warlock; and Catherine M'Teir, demit of witchcraft. These seem to have been cases of peculiar interest, as the attention of the session was more or less occupied by them for nearly five years."
"Ayrshire Nights Entertainment: A Descriptive Guide to the History, Traditions, Antiquities of the County of Ayr" by John MacIntosh of Galston, Ayrshire, published in 1894, by John Menzies & Co. of Kilmarnock, Dunlop and Drennan.