"The old church and churchyard of Crosbie, around which a village once clustered, are situated in a secluded spot about a mile and a half from Troon. The church of Crosbie is of high antiquity, and is mentioned as early as 1229, when it was granted by the Second Walter, the Steward, to the Gilbertine convent, founded by him that same year at St. Quivox. It came into the hands of the Fullartons by a charter from Robert II. In the chartulary of the convent of Paisley, it is mentioned as a chapelry under Dundonald. After the Reformation, it was converted into a Protestant parish church, with Fullarton as patron. In 1651, it was disjoined from the parish of Dundonald, and annexed to the united parishes of Monkton and Prestwick. In 1688, however, it was again wholly reunited to Dundonald. A few years prior to this, a new edifice was built on the site of the old one. After being reunited to Dundonald, it was seldom used as a place of worship, and gradually fell into a ruinous condition."
"The churchyard was, until 1863, the only burying-ground for Troon and neighbourhood. The most interesting tombstone, from an antiquarian point of view, is found close to the east gable of the ruin. The stone has been renewed, and bears in relieved characters, the following inscription:
"Heir lye corpis of ane honourabel man callt David Hamiltovne of Bothelhavghe, spovs to Elesone Sinclar in his lime, qvha desist the 14th of Merche, 1619."
"David Hamilton was the son of the arch assassin, James Hamilton of Bothwellhaugh, who shot the good Regent Murray. His sister Christina, daughter of James Hamilton of Bothwellhaugh, was married to David Fullarton of Fullarton, which obviously accounts for David Hamilton being buried at Crosbie. "David Hamilton of Bothwellhaugh" is the title of an interesting tale written a good many years ago by the late Mr J. S. Lockhart. In it are embodied some of the scenes in and around the old church and churchyard of Crosbie."
"Ayrshire Nights Entertainment: A Descriptive Guide to the History, Traditions, Antiquities of the County of Ayr" by John MacIntosh of Galston, Ayrshire, published in 1894, by John Menzies & Co. of Kilmarnock, Dunlop and Drennan.
The Troon & Ayrshire FHS have also published the Dundonald Burial Register and booklets of Dundonald and Crosbie (Troon) monumental inscriptions.