FENWICK - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"FENWICK, a parish and post village in the district of Cunninghame, county Ayr, Scotland, 4 miles N.E. of Kilmarnock. It is situated on the road from Glasgow to Kilmarnock, and on the Fenwick water, a tributary to the Irvine, and contains the villages of Upper Fenwick, Kirktown, and Waterside, and is about 500 feet above the level of the sea. This parish is in the presbytery of Irvine and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. It was annexed to the parish of Kilmarnock up to 1642. The minister has a stipend of £149. The church was built in 1643. Here are a Free and an United Presbyterian church, also several schools. Here is the seat of the ancient family of Howies of Lochgoin. Coal and ironstone occur, and building and limestone are quarried. Excellent trout frequent the streams. Polkelly Tower, of which there are some remains, was a seat of the Cochrane family. At Lochgoin many relics are preserved of the wars of the Covenanters, among others the sword with which the famous Captain Paton fought at Drumclog, and there are several martyr stones in the churchyard."
"KIRKTOWN, a village in the parish of Fenwick, county Ayr, Scotland, 3 miles N.E. of Kilmarnock"
"WATERSIDE, a village in the parish of Fenwick, county Ayr, Scotland. There are a subscription school and a private school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]