This parish page is in skeleton form at present. I am actively seeking more material.
"The old churchyard is no less interesting than the church itself, and contains the burying-place of the Howies of Lochgoin, and the graves of not a few of the martyrs of the Covenant. Amongst those belonging to this parish, who suffered from the Persecution, possibly no name is better known than that of Captain John Paton, of Meadowhead. The lonely moorland house of Lochgoin oftentimes afforded a refuge and hiding place for the Captain, when pursued by the merciless troopers. They soon got to know of this, and were in the habit of paying the house frequent visits, and sometimes, when they were disappointed in not securing their prey, actuated by feelings of revenge, they plundered and ransacked the house in the most lawless manner. This noble martyr was apprehended by a party of dragoons, under circumstances of the most painful nature. He had a child to bury, and had accompanied its remains as chief mourner over part of the road which lay between his home and the burying-ground. Before reaching the place of interment, his friends knowing the great danger in which he was thus placing himself, persuaded him to return and seek a refuge among his native wilds. His movements had been watched, however, by a sneaking spy, no less a personage than the reverend incumbent of the parish, upon whose information the troopers acted, with the result that Captain Paton was apprehended in the parish of Mearns, and led captive to Ayr, and afterwards to Edinburgh, where he suffered martyrdom, May 9th, 1684. A monument to his memory may be seen in the churchyard of Fenwick."
"Ayrshire Nights Entertainment: A Descriptive Guide to the History, Traditions, Antiquities of the County of Ayr" by John MacIntosh of Galston, Ayrshire, published in 1894, by John Menzies & Co. of Kilmarnock, Dunlop and Drennan.
Originally a weavers village, which can be identified by the window patterns of some of the houses. Fenwick has strong Covenanter associations.
John Fulton, a shoemaker to trade, built a working model of the then known part of the solar system in 1882. The 'orrery' as it is known is now in the care of the Glasgow Museum and Art Gallery.
- The transcription of the section for Fenwick from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.