MONKTON AND PRESTWICK, Ayrshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"MONKTON AND PRESTWICK, an united parish in the district of Kyle, county Ayr, Scotland. It comprises the post-office village of its own name, also the burgh of barony of Prestwick, and the village of Prestwick-Toll, at which places are stations on the Ayr section of the Glasgow and South-Western railway. It extends in length about 34 miles from N. to S., with a breadth varying from 1½ mile to 3½ miles, and is bounded by the Frith of Clyde and the parishes of Dundonald, Symington, Craigie, Tarbolton, St. Quivox, and Newton-upon-Ayr. The surface is moderately flat, rising gently from the Frith. The soil in the central district consists of a deep rich loam, while along the coast and over a large extent of the southern district it is light and sandy, and in the N. and N.E. a strong clay. Red and white sandstone are quarried, and coal has been extensively worked. The coast line, which extends for about 24 miles in length, is low and sandy. The parish is traversed by the road from Irvine to Ayr, and by the Glasgow and Ayr railway. The village of Monkton is distant about 3½ miles N.E. of Ayr, and 8 S.W. of Kilmarnock. The parish is watered by the rivers Pow, Rumbler, and several small streams. It formerly belonged to Paisley Abbey, by the name of Orangefield. This parish is in the presbytery of Ayr, and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. The minister has a stipend of £275. The new parish church is situated betwixt the villages of Monkton and Prestwick, and serves as a landmark to vessels entering the Frith of Clyde. It was erected in 1837. The old parish churches of Monkton and Prestwick are of great antiquity. There is a Free church, also a Free Church school, besides other schools. Between Prestwick and Prestwick-Toll are the ruins of Kincase, a lepers' hospital, founded by Bruce. At Monkton Hill is a pillar stone."
"PRESTWICK, a village in the parish of Monkton-and-Prestwick, district of Kyle, county Ayr, Scotland, 4 miles N. of Ayr. It is a station on the Ayr section of the Glasgow and South Western railway. It is an ancient burgh of barony, situated on Ayr Bay, and once formed a separate parish. It is governed by a provost and two bailies, under a charter of James Vi., granted in 1600. It contains an ancient market - cross, court - house, and gaol. See Monkton."
"PRESTWICK TOLL, a hamlet in the parish of Monkton-and-Prestwick, county Ayr, Scotland, adjoining Prestwick. A fair is held on the 6th November."
"LADYKIRK, an ancient parish in county Ayr, Scotland, now joined to Monkstown."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]