The Troon and District Family History Society has published a book of Monumental Inscriptions for Monkton.
Architecturally, the most important structure in the village are the ruins of St. Cuthbert's Church, in Main Street. Built several centuries ago as a single oblong chamber, it has been considerably changed over time, before being re-roofed in 1837. The Church and graveyard, because of their historical importance, are protected buildings. Also protected are the neighbouring Manse to the Parish Church, and its stables. The manse was constructed in 1822 and is a two storey building with a central porch.
The village of Monkton is located one mile north, as the crow flies, of Prestwick. The village was originally a religious settlement, but through time agriculture became the basis of the village's economy. In the 19th century a small scale weaving industry was introduced, but today the village is basically a residential settlement.
Originally situated on the main Ayr to Glasgow road, Monkton was a busy crossroads with five roads radiating outwards from it. With the introduction of the Ayr by-pass and the Prestwick Airport ring-road, traffic through the village has fallen considerably. The village has changed little over the years. The war memorial has been re-located from it's originally position at the Cross to the corner of Main Street and Tarbolton Road, and while most of the traditional single storey cottages still stand, many have been altered over the years.
An 1837 description of Ayr and neighbouring areas, including Monkton and offering a listing of the key personalities of the town, is given in this extract from Pigot's Directory for Ayrshire. The transcript was provided by Keith Muirhead from Queensland.