ST. QUIVOX - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"ST. QUIVOX, a parish in the district of Kyle, county Ayr, Scotland. It contains the villages of Whiteletts and Wallacetown. It extends 3 miles in length, with an extreme breadth of 3, and is bounded by the parishes of Monkton, Prestwick, Tarbolton, Ayr, and Newton-upon-Ayr. The surface, which lies low, is moderately even. The soil is light on sandstone and coal measures. The parish is situated on the river Ayr, and is traversed by the roads from Ayr to Galston and Mauchline. The village is situated about 3 miles E. of Ayr, and is within easy access by railway, steam-packet, and coach. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the collieries and stone quarries. This parish is in the presbytery of Ayr, and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. The minister has a stipend of £294. The parish church stands nearly central of the parish, but 3 miles distant from the bulk of the inhabitants. It was built prior to the Reformation on the site of Sanchar or Sanquhar chapel, which belonged to Paisley Abbey. The church was restored and enlarged in 1834. At Wallacetown are a Free church, United Presbyterian church, Reformed Presbyterian church, Original Secession church, and a chapel-of-ease. The Independents, Episcopalians, and Roman Catholics have each a chapel. There are a parochial and several other schools."
"WALLACETOWN, a quoad sacra parish and town in the parish of St. Quivox, county Ayr, Scotland. It is situated on the E. side of Newton-upon-Ayr, of which it is a suburb. It was founded in 1760 by Sir T. Wallace of Cragie, since which period it has made rapid strides of prosperity. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in weaving and in the collieries. Wallacetown is in the presbytery of Ayr, and in the patronage of communicants. The stipend of the minister is about £150. There are a Free church, an United Presbyterian church, a Reformed Presbyterian church, an Original Secession church, and chapels respectively for the Independents and Roman Catholics. There are also several schools."
"WHITELETS, a village in the parish of St. Quivox, county Ayr, Scotland, 1½ mile N.E. of Ayr. A railway for the traffic of coal connects the village with the harbour of Newton-upon-Ayr. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the collieries."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]