STAIR - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"STAIR, a parish in the district of Kyle, county Ayr, Scotland. It contains a village of the same name. This parish extends about 6 miles in length from S.W. to N.E., with a mean breadth of 2 miles, lying between the rivers Ayr and Kyle. The surface is undulating, and the whole is enclosed and well cultivated. The soil is generally a stiff clay, except along the streams, where it is loamy. A species of whetstone, known by the name of Water-of-Ayr stone, is very abundant, and is exported to a considerable extent. Sandstone and coal are worked. On the lands of Dalmore are traces of copper and antimony, and plumbago exists in great quantities. At Tribboch and Drongan are remains of two ancient towers. The parish is traversed by two roads, and is within easy access of the Glasgow and South-Western railway. The village of Stair, which is small, is about 5 miles S.W. of Mauchline, and 2½ S. of Tarbolton. It is situated on the river Ayr. The parish is in the presbytery of Ayr and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. The stipend of the minister is £214. The church is old. There are a Free church and a non-parochial school. The parish of Stair formed a part of Ochiltree till 1653, and gives title of earl, viscount, and baron to the ancient family of Dalrymple. The principal seats are Barskimming, Stair House, Drongan, and Gadgirth Castle."
"DRONGAN, an estate, a village, and coal-works, in the parish of Stair, in the county of Ayr, Scotland, 7 miles W. of Cummock."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]