STRAITON - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"STRAITON, a parish in the district of Carrick, county Ayr, Scotland. It contains a village of its own name and that of Patna. It extends in length about 20 miles from N. to S., with an extreme breadth of 8 miles, and is bounded by Kircudbrightshire, and by the parishes of Dalrymple and Dalmellington. The surface is rocky and wild, interspersed with a number of small lakes, among which are Finlass, Braden, and Lochriccar. The greatest altitude attained is about 1,150 feet above sea-level. It is watered by the rivers Doon and Girvan, and by several small streams falling into the lakes. The parish is traversed by the road from Girvan to New Cumnock, and by that from Ayr to Kircudbright, and is within easy access of the stations at Dalmellington and Patna, on the Dalmellington railway. The village of Straiton is about 4 miles S.E. of Kirkmichael, and 14½ S.E. of Ayr. It is situated on the rivers Girvan and Doon, near Loch Doon. This parish is in the presbytery of Ayr and synod of Glasgow and Ayr, and in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of about £244. The parish church, which is of great antiquity, was restored in the years 1787 and 1813. There are a Free church for Straiton and Crosshill, a parochial and two other schools, and a parochial library at Straiton. At Patna are an United Presbyterian church, a chapel-of-ease, and a parochial school. The principal seats are Blairquhan Castle, Berberth House, and a shooting lodge of the Marquis of Ailsa."
"BEN AN, a mountain in the parish of Straiton, Ayrshire, Scotland, 1,150 feet high."
"PATNA, a village in the parish of Straiton, county Ayr, Scot, land, 4 miles N.W. of Dalmellington. It is a station on the Ayr and Dalmellington railway. It is situated on the river Doon, and on the road from Ayr to Dumfries. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the coal and ironstone works. There are an United Presbyterian church, and a chapel-of-ease."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]