Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer, 1868
Symington - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"SYMINGTON, a parish in the district of Kyle, county Ayr, Scotland. It comprises a village of the same name. The parish extends in length about 4 miles from E. to W., with a breadth of about 1½ mile. The higher grounds command a prospect of the Firth of Clyde. The land is fertile, and for the most part under good cultivation. The soil is chiefly of a clayey nature upon a substratum of sandstone and whinstone, which are quarried to some extent. Traces of coal and limestone have been found, but are not worked. The parish is traversed by the road from Kilmarnock to Ayr, and by the Kilmarnock and Troon railway, which has a station here; it is likewise within easy access of the Troon and Monkton stations on the Glasgow and Ayr railway. The village of Symington is about 5 miles S.W. of Kilmarnock, and 7 S.E. of Irvine. It was formerly held by Symon Lockhart, ancestor of the Lockharts of Lee. This parish is in the presbytery of Ayr and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. The stipend of the minister is about £261. The parish church is an ancient structure, enlarged and restored in 1797. There are a Free church and a Free church school. The principal seats are Williamfield, Townend, Dankeith, and Rosemount."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003