Scotland:- Archives and Libraries
- The Scottish Archives Network (SCAN). This site aims to provide access to the holdings of over 50 Scottish archives participating in the network, with a host
of resources and articles which will prove invaluable for anyone interested in the written history of Scotland.
- Scottish Wills. The site provides access to the complete collection of wills and testaments of Scots from 1500-1901. Searches are free, testaments
can be downloaded at a charge.
- General Register Office for Scotland
- civil registration records, census pages, pre-1855 Church of Scotland
parish registers etc. (see relevant sections on the Scotland page for more details).
- National Records of Scotland - wills and testaments, non-conformist church records, kirk session records, legal and court records, estate records, land
records, maps and plans etc.
- National Library of Scotland - extensive collection of books, manuscripts and maps.
- Registers of Scotland - an organisation dealing with modern registration of land and property ownership.
- Scottish Genealogy Society Library - large collection of family history material (records, books, family histories, monumental inscription
listings etc.) relating to Scotland.
- Scottish Screen film archive has online clips from some of the 20,000 reels of documentary, newsreel and educational film in the archive.
- National Register of Archives - survey of records in public and private hands.
- SCRAN (Scottish Cultural Resources Access Network) is a Millennium Project to digitise selected parts of collections throughout Scotland, thus building a
fully searchable online resource base.
- Scottish Collections Network (SCONE) "provides descriptions of collections of all kinds held in libraries, museums, and archives in
Scotland, as well as collections about Scottish topics held elsewhere."
- A list of Family History Centres in Scotland. These are provided by the Church of Jesus Christ of
- Mark Howells has provided a listing of Scottish Record Offices and Archives on the Web.