"These united parishes, lying in Berwickshire, form a square of nearly 6 miles. The soil on the high lands, towards the Lammermuir hills, is thin, dry, and poor; but has of late been much improved with lime and marl. The rest of the parish, particularly on the banks of the Whittader, which runs through it, is a fertile loam. A considerable number of sheep are fed for the English market. Clay marl is found in great abundance on the banks of the Whittader, which has been of great use as a manure. There is plenty of moor and freestone. A copper mine was lately discovered on Lord Douglas' estate; but, though very rich at first, it became so poor that it was given up. Population in 1801, 674."
From the Gazetteer of Scotland published 1806, Edinburgh.