"A considerable village and parish in the division of Berwickshire, called Merse or March. The village is situated on Chirnside-hill, one of the eminences which, disjointed from the Lammermuir ridge, project into the low country. It is distinguished for its regular and semi-circular aspect on the S. and for its gradual declination to the Whitadder water; and commands a view of one of the richest counties in Scotland, with a prospect of that various and rural beauty which never fails to expand and delight the mind of the spectator. The village consists of 2 streets, running over the summit of the hill, nearly half a mile in length; but the houses are generally mean, and built of clay. As a borough of barony, it has the privilege of holding an annual fair, chiefly for the sale of sackcloth and linen yarn. It is the seat of a presbytery, and contains upwards of 600 inhabitants. The parish of Chirnside is an oblong figure, the length of which is about 4, and the breadth 3 miles. The surface is flat, with the exception of Chirnside-hill; and the soil is a rich loam, abundantly fertile ... Population in 1801, 1147."
From the Gazetteer of Scotland published 1806, Edinburgh.