Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"A parish in Berwickshire, about 10 miles in length, and 6 in breadth, extending along the foot of the Lammermuir hills, and into the flat country of the Merse ... It is watered by the two rivers Blackadder and Whittadder, which here unite near a hamlet called Allantown. The celebrated mineral spring called Dunse Spa is on the borders of this parish, where its march runs with the parish of Dunse. The greater part of the land is well inclosed, and drains have carried off several small lakes and marshes, with which the face of the country was formerly much disfigured. Population in 1801, 1355."
From the Gazetteer of Scotland published 1806, Edinburgh.
The Borders Family History Society has published a CD of Edrom monumental inscriptions. This includes photos of the gravestones, as well as other resources such as the 1694 hearth tax, 1695 poll tax, early 1800s militia records, late 19th century school admission lists, and war memorial and roll of honour details.
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of Berwickshire Monumental Inscriptions (Pre-1855).
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1721. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Records of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
The presence of non-conformist churches in the parish is revealed by Rutherfurd's Southern Counties Register and Directory which lists the following in the year 1866:
There may have been other non-conformist churches at different times.
The Scottish Genealogy Society has published "Edrom Parish - Certificates of Character Given 1797-1815 Received 1796-1854".
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For further details of this see the National Records of Scotland website.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Edrom which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Edrom has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Ask for a calculation of the distance from Edrom to another place.
The Borders Family History Society has published Full of Egotism: being the diary of the Rev. John Hastie, Minister of Edrom Parish Berwickshire, 1797 to 1822. This book, annotated and indexed by Ronald Morrison, contains a transcript of the diary, with detailed entries for 1790 to 1822 when Rev. Hastie died. As well as mentioning his friends and relatives the diary has numerous references to local people, events, and lists many baptisms, marriages and burials that Rev. Hastie performed.
Ordnance Survey maps covering Edrom include:
- Landranger 67: Duns, Dunbar & Eyemouth area - scale 1:50000, or 1.25inch:1mile, or 2cm:1km
- Pathfinder 437: Chirnside - scale 1:25000, or 2.5inch:1mile, or 4cm:1km
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT829555 (Lat/Lon: 55.792534, -2.274279), Edrom which are provided by:
The Borders Family History Society sells a booklet indexing among other things certificates of good conduct for people entering and leaving Edrom parish. The book is Edrom Parish, Berwickshire: Certificates Given 1797-1815; Certificates Received 1796-1854; New Communicants from 1824 and members from other Churches from 1852.
Here are some figures showing the parish's population through time:
- 1755 - 898
- 1790 - 1336
- 1801 - 1355
- 1811 - 1360
- 1821 - 1516
- 1831 - 1516
- 1861 - 1592