"FOULDEN, a parish in the eastern part of the district of Merse, Berwickshire. It is of nearly a square form, 2¼ miles each way; and is bounded by the parishes of Ayton, Mordington, Hutton, and Chirnside. Its church is nearly equally distant from the towns of Ayton, Chirnside, and Berwick; and the last of these is the post-town. The surface rises in a gently inclined plane from south to north, and terminates in a ridge of heights."
From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
Nigel Hardie has transcribed and published parish of Foulden burials for 1817-1854.
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's original publication of Pre-1855 Tombstone Inscriptions in Berwickshire (long out of print) but are also in the first volume of a new edition of these pre-1855 Berwickshire monumental inscriptions.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1682. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Records of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
Landranger 67: Duns, Dunbar & Eyemouth area - scale 1:50000, or 1.25inch:1mile, or 2cm:1km
Pathfinder 438: Berwick-upon-Tweed - scale 1:25000, or 2.5inch:1mile, or 4cm:1km
Foulden is also covered by an old Victorian one-inch to the mile Ordnance Survey map published by Caledonian Maps. The relevant sheet is sheet number 34 "Eyemouth" which also includes Burnmouth, Chirnside, Cockburnspath, Coldingham, Edrom, Foulden, Grantshouse, Preston and St Abb's Head.