"A parish in Berwickshire, on the banks of the Tweed, anciently called Upsettintoune [Upsettlington], but changed to its present name by James IV, after he had built a handsome church in it which he dedicated to the Virgin Mary. This church is famous as the place where the supplemental treaty to that of Chateau Cambresis was concluded, between the English and Scots commissioners. The parish is 2½ miles long, and 1 broad, and contains 3500 acres ... Population in 1801, 516."
From the Gazetteer of Scotland published 1806, Edinburgh.
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of Berwickshire Monumental Inscriptions (Pre-1855).
Census returns for Ladykirk in 1811 and 1831 have apparently survived among kirk session records held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh (NRS reference CH2/660/4,5). Please bear in mind that the amount and depth of information in these early returns may differ from that in later ones (source: Gordon Johnson's Census Records for Scottish families at Home and Abroad - see the Census section on the main Scotland GENUKI page for further details of this publication).
Graham and Emma Maxwell have transcribed and indexed the 1811, 1831, 1841, 1851 and 1861 census returns for this parish.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1697. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Records of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).