"A royal borough in Berwickshire, seated on the river Lauder or Leader, about 15 miles before it falls into the Tweed. It is a royal borough of very ancient erection, and was often the seat of the Scotish parliament; but its present appearance is mean, and does not convey an idea of its former splendour. In the reign of King James III the factious nobility, who had been summoned to meet for the dispatch of public business, seized the favourite minister of that monarch, Robert Cochrane, who had been raised from a common mason to be Earl of Mar, and hung him and his associates over Lauder bridge, in sight of the king and the army ... Population in 1801, 1760."
From the Gazetteer of Scotland published 1806, Edinburgh.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1680. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Records of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
Registers for a number of non-conformist Lauder churches are available in LDS family history centres around the world. These include the Associate Burgher Congregation (christenings and marriages for 1796-1811), the Free Church (christenings for 1844-1856) and the Free Church or United Free Church (christenings for 1844-1881, marriages for 1844-1878).
The LDS Family History Library catalogue lists a microfilm version of Burgh registers, Lauder, Berwick, minute books, sasines covering the dates 1809-1878. The catalogue entry (under Scotland/Berwick/Lauder/Land and Property) suggests that it is a microfilm copy of original records held at the National Records of Scotland. The microfilm copy in the LDS catalogue should hopefully be viewable at LDS family history centres around the world.
The Protocol Book of Robert Wedderop, Lauder, 1543-1553 was published in recent years by the Walter Mason Trust. This was essentially a legal notebook, kept by a local solicitor, recording all manner of legal documents during the time.
Landranger 73: Peebles, Galashiels & surrounding area - scale 1:50000, or 1.25inch:1mile, or 2cm:1km
Outdoor Leisure 44: Tweed Valley (Peebles to St Boswells) - scale 1:25000, or 2.5inch:1mile, or 4cm:1km
Lauder is also covered by an old Victorian one-inch to the mile Ordnance Survey map published by Caledonian Maps. The relevant sheet is sheet number 25 "Kelso & Melrose" which also includes Earlston, Galashiels, Gordon, Greenlaw, Lauder, Polwarth, Roxburgh, St Boswells, Selkirk and Westruther.