"WESTRUTHER, a parish, lying debateably between the Lauderdale and the Lammermoor districts of Berwickshire. It contains the post-office village of Westruther and the village of Hounslow. It is bounded on the north by Cranshaw; on the east by Longformacus and Greenlaw; on the south by Gordon and Legerwood; and on the west by Legerwood and Lauder ... The parish of Westruther was formed in the 17th century by uniting to the parish of Bassendean the lands of Westruther and the ancient territory of Spottiswoode, which had belonded to the parish of Gordon"
From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
The following quotation comes from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson and published in 1868. This reference was found in volume II, p.844:
"The parish of Westruther was formed in the 17th century by uniting to the parish of Bassendean the lands of Westruther and the ancient territory of Spottiswoode, which had belonged to the parish of Gordon. See BASSENDEAN. A new church being, soon after the annexation, built at the village of Westruther, that site, more central than the old church of Bassendean, gave its name to the enlarged parish."
According to Rev. William Ewing's Annals of the Free Church of Scotland (published 1914 in Edinburgh) Walter Wood, the then minister of Westruther, along with "a large part of his congregation" left the Church of Scotland for the Free Church in 1843. The membership of the Free Church congregation here in 1848 was 175; by 1900 it was 101.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1657. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Records of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
The parish registers available worldwide on microfilm include kirk session accounts for the years 1657-1660 (in part 756/1). More information on kirk sessions and their records can be found in the Church Records section of the Berwickshire page.