The CUMBRAES, Buteshire
"The Cumbrays are two small islands, lying in the Firth of Clyde, betwixt the Isle of Bute and Ayrshire; the greater Cumbray lies highest up the Firth, and is two miles and a half in length, by a breadth of one and a half, distant from the coast of Ayrshire about two miles. The capital, and only town on the island, is Millport, a neat little place on the north side, with a harbour. The island forms a parish, to which the lesser Cumbray is attached; this latter island is about a mile in length, by half a mile in breadth. These Cumbrays once belonged to the Norwegians, and were frequently the objects of contest with the Scots. Two-thirds of the larger Cumbray belong to the Earl of Glasgow, and the remainder is the property of the Marquis of Bute. The Earl of Eglintoun is the owner of the lesser Cumbray."
[From Slater's Directory of Scotland, with Topographical and Postal Information, Volume II, 1878]
For information on parishes please return to the main Buteshire page.photographs of The Cumbraes and the surrounding area. maps of The Cumbraes.