"BRODICK, bay, village, ducal seat, and quoad sacra parish in Arran Island, Buteshire. The bay is near the middle of the east coast, 14 miles west-south-west of Ardrossan, has a crescent form on a chord of about 3 miles, and is overlooked by the mouths of 3 glens amid grand lofty mountains. The village lies dispersedly on the bay, and has a post office, with all departments, under Ardrossan, a hotel, an iron pier of 1872 and a church. The seat, Brodick Castle, belongs to the Duke of Hamilton, stands amid ornate grounds on north side of the village, is a spacious modern edifice with lofty tower, and occupies the site of an ancient fortalice of the Lords of the Isles. The quoad sacra parish is part of Kilbride. Pop. 933."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]photographs of Brodick and the surrounding area. maps of Brodick.