"KILBRIDE, a parish on the E. side of the island of Arran, county Bute, Scotland, containing the post-office villages of Brodick (with its bay), Corrie, and Lamblash, including also Holy Isle. It is 14 miles long by 5 broad, extending from Lough Ranza to Dippinpoint. The surface is hilly, rising 2,865 feet at Goatfell. This parish is in the presbytery of Kintyre and synod of Argyle. The minister has a stipend of £274. The church, which stands at Lamblash, was erected in 1773. There is a chapel-of-ease at Brodick, and Free churches at Kilbride and Loch Ranza, besides an, Independent chapel at Glensannox. An endowed school has been established at Brodick, and there are two public libraries in the parish. Scotch pebbles are found at Goatfell. Granite, slate, building stone, and limestone are worked. The Duke of Hamilton is the chief landowner."
"BRODICK, a village in the parish of Kilbride, Isle of Arran, in the county of Bute, Scotland, about 20 miles to the W. of Irvine, in Ayrshire. It is seated at the foot of Goatfell, on the coast of a small bay named after the village. Brodick Castle, which stands by the sea, on the site of an ancient fortress belonging to the Boyds and the Stuarts, is a seat of the Duke of Hamilton. The village has good accommodation for sea-bathing. A fair is held in June."
"LAMLASH, a village in the parish of Kilbride, county Bute, Scotland. It is situated near Lamlash Bay, in the Isle of Arran, and has off the coast Lamlash Island."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003