"LOCHRANZA, bay and village at north end of Arran Island, Buteshire. The bay is a mile long and 3 furlongs wide, adjoins a promontory with ruined ancient royal hunting-seat, and forms part of a grand landscape depicted in Sir Walter Scott's Lord of the Isles. The village has a post office under Greenock, a good inn, a Free church, and a public school with about 84 scholars."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]photographs of Lochranza and the surrounding area. maps of Lochranza.