KILMORY, Buteshire

"KILMORIE, parish, comprehending Pladda Island, and south end and west side of Arran Island, Buteshire. It has in vicinity of Lag a post office designated of Arran Island, a parochial church, a Free church, and a public school with about 81 scholars. Its length is 24 miles; its greatest breadth 8¾ miles; and its area 67,099 acres. Real property in 1880-81, 10,765. Pop. 2574. The coast line in Arran extends from Glenashdale to mouth of Loch Ranza; and its entire surface is described in the articles on Arran and Pladda. Free churches are at Shisken and Loch Ranza. There are 7 schools for 516 scholars, and 3 of them for 230 are new."

From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.

Towns and Villages

Arran (island)
Glenashdale (glen)
Lagg (hamlet)
Lochranza (village)
Pladda (island)
Shiskin (hamlet)

Church Records

The parish church records are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world.

Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Kilmory parish span the following years:

Births or Baptisms ~ 1701-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1701-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ no records

Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Lochranza span the following years:

Births or Baptisms ~ 1732-1846
Marriages or Banns ~ 1802-1846
Deaths or Burials ~ no records

Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Shiskin span the following years:

Births or Baptisms ~ 1785-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1785-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ no records

Description and Travel

View photographs of Kilmory and the surrounding area.

Gazetteers

Historical Geography

Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.

Maps

View maps of Kilmory.