KILMORY - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"KILMORY, (originally Cill Mhuire, or Mary Church), a parish in the county of Bute, Scotland. It reaches from Dippen, past Pladday Light, Drumodune Point, Loch Earsay, &c., to Loch Ranza, and is about 24 miles long, its greatest breadth being near the southern extremity, and 9 miles in extent. There are post-offices at Kilmory for its south, and at Loch Ranza for its north district. The parish is in the presbytery of Kintyre and synod of Argyle. The minister's stipend is £237. The parish church is a commodious structure, enlarged in 1824. The Free Church has places of worship at Shisken and Loch Ranza. There are parochial and several other schools. In the neighbourhood are rude stones, tumuli, and cairns, attributed to Fingal. Along the coast, which is rocky, are several extensive natural caves, one being 120 feet long; it is known as the King's Cove, having, it is said, sheltered the celebrated Robert Bruce during his distress. There are harbours both at Blackwaterfoot and Arran. The Duke of Hamilton is sole proprietor of the parish. Two annual horse-fairs are held here, the one at Lag, and the other at Shedog."
"EARSAY, (or Iorsa), a lake and stream in the Isle of Arran, parish of Kilmory, county of Bute, Scotland. The lake is about 1 mile long, and lies 2 miles above the embouchure of the river, which rises in the N. of the island at Earsay Glen, and falls into Manchray Bay, after a course of 7 miles. There is good trout and salmon fishing in the lake."
"SHISKEN, a hamlet in the parish of Kilmory, Isle of Arran, county Bute, Scotland, 6 miles from Kilmory. The village is situated on the western coast of the island. A vale named after the village extends to a considerable distance into the interior, and is the most productive portion of the island. There are a Free church and a parochial school."
"KILMAGLASS, an ancient parish now joined to Kilmorey, county Bute, Scotland."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]