"LAMLASH, village and bay on east coast of Arran Island, Buteshire. The village stands at the bay's head, 5½ miles south-south-east of Brodick, and has a post office, with money order and telegraph departments, designated of Arran, a banking office, a hotel, a good stone pier, a parochial church, and 2 public schools with about 125 scholars. Pop. 219. The bay measures about 3 miles across the mouth, has a horse-shoe outline, is more than half occupied in outer part by Holy Isle, enjoys complete shelter from every wind, and is a remarkably excellent refuge-harbour."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]