"CANISBAY, (or Canute's Bay), a parish in the county of Caithness, Scotland. It is situated in a heathy district on the coast of the Pentland Frith, and includes the neighbouring island of Stroma. Duncansby Head and John o'Groat's house are at the north-eastern extremity of this parish. The coast is rocky, and limestone is abundant. The inhabitants are engaged in agriculture and the fisheries. The living, worth £206, is in the presbytery of Caithness, in the gift of the Sinclairs. There is a Free church, and the Independents have a place of worship at Freswick, and the Baptists one at the Mull of Mey. In this parish are Barrogill and Brabster castles-the former the seat of the Earl of Caithness. There are several ruins of forts and chapels. The parish extends about 10 miles in length and 5 in breadth."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Canisbay from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.