"WATTEN, a parish in the county of Caithness, Scotland. It is nearly circular in form, and about 84 miles in diameter. The surface is undulating but low, being in some parts little more than 20 feet above sea-level. The soil is rich and productive, with the exception of that of the moors, which are of considerable extent. In the northern part of the parish is Loch Watten, extending 3 miles from W. to E., with a breadth of from 3 to 10 furlongs; it abounds in eels and trout, and is much frequented by wild ducks and sea fowl. The southern part of the parish is watered by Loch Toftingall. The confluent streams from the above-mentioned lakes form the river Wick, which flows 4 miles eastward towards the boundary. The predominant rocks are flagstone, limestone, and trap. The village of Watten is about 9 miles N.W. of Wick. The parish is traversed through its central districts by the S. road from Thurso to Wick, and across its S.W. extremity by the road from Thurso to Dornoch. This parish is in the presbytery of Caithness and synod of Sutherland and Caithness. The stipend of the minister is about £222. There are a Free church parochial school, parochial library, and two other schools, also a mission church for the Halsary district. The principal seat is Heath House. A fair is held on the first Tuesday in December, old style."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]