ALLOA[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ALLOA, a parish, containing a town of the same name, also the villages of Cambus, Collyland, Tullibody, and Holton Square, and comprising the two ancient parishes of Alloa and Tullibody, in Clackmannanshire. It is bounded on the north and west by the river Devon; on the south by the river Forth; and on the east by the parishes of Tillicoultry and Clackmannan. Its average length from east to west is about 4 miles; but its extent of bank along the winding Forth, here slowly beginning to expand into firth, is about 5 1/2 miles; and its breadth from north to south is about 2 miles."
From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
"Alloa, a police burgh and the largest town in the county, is the administrative and commercial centre. At Alloa the neap tide rises some 15 feet, the spring tide about 23 feet, the port having the additional advantage of double, or, as they are locally called, "leaky" tides...."
"...Alloa was made an independant port in 1840 and its district now includes the smaller ports or creeks of Charlestown, Clackmannan Pow, Inverkeithing, Kennetpans, Kincardine, St. David's and Stirling."
From Clackmannan and Kinross, J.P.Day B.A. B.Sc., 1915.
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of "Monumental Inscriptions in Clackmannanshire".
The parish church (Established Church of Scotland) has records dating from 1609. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
The transcription of the section for Alloa from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
The Edinburgh University Scottish Gazetteer for the more on the town of Alloa.
(Monumental Inscriptions - see Cemeteries)
Originally based around the local industries of brewing and distilling the Alloa Glass Works still continue today.