[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"CLACKMANNAN, a parish containing the town of its own name, in the county of Clackmannan, Scotland, together with the villages of Sauchie, Westfield, Kennet, and Newtonshaw. It is bounded on the N. by the river Devon, and on the S. by the Frith of Forth, and is 6 miles in length, with a breadth of from 2 to 4 miles. Three-fourths of the surface is planted, the remainder is under pasture or tillage. Coal and ironstone have long been worked. The parish is in the presbytery of Stirling, and in the patronage of the Earl of Zetland, who is one of the principal landowners. The stipend of the minister is £284. There is a chapel of ease at Sauchie, also a Free church and an United Presbyterian church at Clackmannan. The town of Clackmannan is 2 miles E. of Alloa and 111 from Dunfermline, by the Stirling and Dunfermline branch of the Edinburgh and Glasgow railway, which has a station here. It is situated on a ridge rising gradually 190 feet above the level of the Forth, excepting on the W., where the descent is abrupt and precipitous, and where the old tower stands. It consists principally of one long street of 250 houses, having a rather mean appearance; with a school, of which Mr. Bruce, author of "Lochleven", was once master. It was long the seat and possession of the family of Bruce, being granted by David II. to Robert Bruce, who lived here, after he became king, previously to the battle of Bannockburn, and who is said to have built the tower. The sword and helmet of King Robert Bruce were kept here until removed to Broomhall by the Earl of Elgin, the nearest representative of that family, the direct line having become extinct at the end of the last century. Near the site of the prison stands a stone, or "clachan", with which tradition connects several incidents in Bruce's life. Fairs are held in June and September."
"FOREST MILL, a hamlet in the parish of Clackmannan, county Clackmannan, Scotland, 3 miles N.E. of the town of Clackmannan."
"KENNET, a village in the parish of Clackmannan, county Clackmannan, Scotland, 1 mile E. of Clackmannan. It is chiefly occupied by colliers. Kennet House stands about 1 mile distant from the Forth."
"KENNETPANS, a village in the parish of Clackmannan, county Clackmannan, Scotland, 2 miles W. of Kincardine. It has a harbour on the Forth."
"KILBAGIE, a hamlet in the parish and county of Clackmannan, Scotland, 1 mile from Clackmannan, and 32 miles from Edinburgh. It is situated near the rivers Forth and Devon, and contains a large distillery."
"NEWTONSHAW, (or Newton-of-sanchie), a village in the parish and county of Clackmannan, Scotland, 1½ mile N. of Alloa, and 5 miles N.W. of Kincardine. It is situated on the river Devon. The inhabitants are principally engaged in the Devon iron-works."
"OLD and NEW SAUCHIE, villages in the parishes of Alloa and Clackmannan, county Clackmannan, Scotland, 2 miles N. of Clackmannan, and 3 from Alloa. They are situated on the road to Alloa, and are chiefly inhabited by persons employed in the neighbouring collieries. A chapel-of ease was erected here in 1841. The colliery of South Sauchie comprises an area of 26 acres, and has a 9 feet seam of coal. In the early part of the present century this pit fired, and was accordingly designated the "burning waste", and to prevent it from spreading a wall was built round at an outlay of £16,000. In 1851 the fire was finally extinguished by means of a jet of steam, thus reclaiming property valued at near £200,000. The district also abounds in limestone and iron-ore, for the working of which latter extensive works were established in 1792 on the banks of the Devon."
"WESTFIELD, a village in the parish and county of Clackmannan, Scotland. It is a station on the Airdrie branch of the North British railway."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]