Link to maps of Dollar

DOLLAR

"DOLLAR, a parish, containing a small post-town of its own name, in Clackmannanshire. It is bounded by the parishes of Glendevon, Muckhart, Fossaway, Clackmannan and Tillicoultry. Its length from north to south is about 3 miles; and its greatest breadth is about 1 1/4 mile. Its general aspect is that of a beautiful plain or valley, having the Ochils for its northern boundary, and a gently rising ground confining it on the south. The river Devon runs through it in a meandering course from east to west. The central part of the parish, in which the town is situated, forms a somewhat large and slightly sloping plain with a southern exposure, and beautifully interspersed with hamlets, farm-houses, and enclosures."

From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.

"DOLLAR, the smallest of the four police burghs, is situated close to the point where the Devon enters the county. Its beautiful and healthy situation and the educational advantages afforded by the Dollar Institution combine to make Dollar a residential town rather than an industrial centre. It has extensive bleachfields. The famous engineer, James Watt, reported that the Devon might be made navigable as far as Dollar..."

From Clackmannan and Kinross, J.P.Day B.A. B.Sc. 1915.

Cemeteries

Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of "Monumental Inscriptions in Clackmannanshire".

Church Records

The parish church (Established Church of Scotland) has records dating from 1700. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family History Centres around the world.

(Monumental Inscriptions - see Cemeteries)

Gazetteers

Schools

The The Dollar Institution (photo) pre-1915.

Dollar Academy Web SiteDollar Academy has a web site with some information on former pupils.

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)