CLACKMANNANSHIRE - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"CLACKMANNAN, the smallest county in Scotland, is bounded on the S. by the Frith of Forth; on the W. by the counties of Stirling and Perth; on the N. by Perthshire; and on the E. by Perthshire and Fifeshire. Its length from E. to W. is 10 miles, with an extreme breadth of 8 miles. It has an area of 30,720 acres, about two-thirds of which are cultivated. The Cochill hills afford the best pasturage for sheep in Scotland, and the soil on the banks of the Devon is deep and fertile, but not favourable to the growth of wood. Coal and limestone are abundant and largely wrought, and at various times silver, copper, lead, cobalt, and antimony have been obtained in the Ochils. Agriculture is in a high state of proficiency, partly owing doubtless to many of the farms having been granted by the great proprietors in perpetuity to their vassals at the time of the Reformation, in gratitude for support received from them. The towns of this county are Clackmannan and Alloa, and the principal villages, Dollar, Tillicoultry, Newtonshaw, Sauchie, Tullibody, Kennet, Cambus, Menstrie, Craigmill, and Abbey. The principal mansions are those of the Earl of Mar, at Alloa Park; of the Earl of Mansfield, at Shaw Park; of Lord Abercromby, at Tullibody House; Dollarfield, Harrieston, and Tillicoultry House. The manufacture of shawls, plaidings, and blankets has long been successfully carried on in the parishes of Dollar, and Tillicoultry. Among the ancient buildings are Clackmannan Tower, Alloa Tower, and Castle Campbell. This county contains the four parishes of Clackmannan, Alloa, Dollar, and Tillicoultry, together with part of the parish of Logic, and has seven Free churches, four United Presbyterian churches, two Independent, and one Episcopalian chapel Alloa is more of the county town than Clackmannan, and all the law courts are held at the former place. Stirling gaol serves also as the gaol for this county. The Stirling and Dunfermline railway passes through the county, and the Scottish Central railway touches the northern boundary. This shire unites with Kinross-shire, the parish of Alva, in Stirlingshire, the Perthshire part of the parish of Logie, and the parishes of Tulliallan and Culross, in sending one member to parliament. Population, 22,951 in 1851, and 21,449 in 1861."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]