Miscellaneous

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"CLACKMANNAN POW, a harbour or creek in the district of Port Alloa, in the county of Clackmannan, Scotland. It is situated between the parishes of Clackmannan and Alloa, and is formed by the juncture of the South Devon, otherwise called the Black Devon, with the Forth. Its mean depth of water at the usual shipping place is 10 feet, and at the entrance of the harbour 20; in 1772 it was much improved by Sir Laurence Dundas."

"DEVON, a river in the counties of Perth, Kinross, and Clackmannan, Scotland. It rises S. of the Ochill hills, a little to the E. of Sheriffmuir, and runs past Forsaway, through Rumbling Brig, over the Three Cauldron Linn Falls, past the Tillbody and Devon Iron-works to the Forth above Alloa. There is another river of the same name, distinguished as the South or Black Devon, in the county of Fife, Scotland. It rises near Saline, and runs parallel to the preceding river, below Alloa."

"RUMBLING BRIDGE, the terminus of the Devon Valley branch of the North British railway, on the river Devon, county Clackmannan, Scotland, near Dollar."

"TULLIBODY, a village and ancient parish in the county of Clackmannanshire, Scotland, 2 miles W.N.W. of Alloa, and 3 N.W. of Clackmannan, near the rivers Forth and Devon. There is a Free church, also the ancient parish church erected about the 12th century, which stands a little N. of the village. In 1559 the roof of the latter was taken off by the French under D'Oysel to form a bridge over the Devon when retreating before the English, but about the middle of last century the building was re-roofed and converted into the mausoleum of the Abercromby family."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)