""TILLICOULTRY, a parish in Clackmannanshire. It contains the post-town of Tillicoultry, and the villages of Coalsnaughton and Devonside. It is bounded by the Stirlingshire detached parish of Alva, by the Perthshire parishes of Blackford and Glendevon, and by the Clackmannanshire parishes of Dollar, Clackmannan, and Alloa. Its length southwards is 6 miles; and its breadth varies from 1 mile at the north end to 2 1/2 miles at the south. About two-thirds of it, from the northern extremity downward, lies among the Ochil hills, and cinludes some of their highest summits; and the remaining or southern third is nearly all arable, and lies at from 20 to 230 feet above the level of the Forth at Alloa. The entire landscape, whether we view the hills or the plain, is pleasant and beautiful."
From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
"TILLICOULTRY, a police burgh two miles east of Alva, and like that town, engaged in the woollen industry. There is now little vestige of the stone circle which formerly stood on the Cuninghar, a rising ground behind the town."
From Clackmannan and Kinross, J.P.Day B.A. B.Sc. 1915.
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of "Monumental Inscriptions in Clackmannanshire".
The parish church (Established Church of Scotland) has records dating from 1639. These are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
(Monumental Inscriptions - see Cemeteries)
See the Tillicoultry Community web-site for current information about Tillicoultry.
- The transcription of the section for Tillicoultry from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Tillicoultry from Devonside (photo) pre-1915.