[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"TILLICOULTRY, a parish in county Clackmannan, Scotland. It comprises the villages of Coalsnaughton and Devonside. The parish extends in length about 6 miles from S. to N., with a varying breadth of from 1 mile to 2 miles, and is bounded by the Stirlingshire detached parish of Alva, by the Perthshire parishes of Blackford and Glevendon, and by the Clackmannanshire parishes of Dollar, Clackmannan, and Alloa. The surface is generally hilly and pastoral, comprising part of the Ochil hills; the greatest altitude reached being at Ben clench, which rises 2,300 feet above sea-level. Coal and limestone abound and are extensively worked. Iron ore, granite, clay-slate, fire-brick clay, basalt, and mica also exist; and traces of copper, silver, lead, cobalt, arsenic, and sulphur are found. At Cuninghar is a Druid circle 60 feet in diameter, and traces of a fort at Castle Craig. The town is about 2 miles E. of Alva, and 9 N.E. of Stirling. It is connected by a branch railway with the Stirling and Dunfermline line at Alloa, and is situated on the river Devon, and on the road from Stirling to Kinross. It is the seat of an extensive woollen trade, and since 1821 the manufacture of shawls, plaids, and tartans has flourished. Several large mills have beer erected, giving employment to many hands. There are branches of the Edinburgh and Glasgow bank, a savings-bank, and several institutions. The principal seats in the vicinity are Harvieston, Alva, Tillicoultry. This parish is in the presbytery of Dunblane and synod of Perth and Stirling. The minister has a stipend of about £282. The parish church was erected in 1828. There are a Free church and United Presbyterian church, also Independent and Evangelical chapels; parochial, subscription, and other schools."
"BEN CLEUGH, the highest mountain of the Ochills, in the parish of Tillicoultry, Clackmannanshire, Scotland, 2,352 feet above the Devon, which flows at its base, and commanding one of the most extensive and beautiful prospects in Scotland."
"COALSNAUGHTON, a village in the parish of Tillicoultry, in the county of Clackmannan, Scotland. It is chiefly inhabited by colliers."
"DEVONSIDE, a modern village in the parish of Tillicoultry, in the county of Clackmannan, Scotland."
"WESTERTOWN, a hamlet in the parish of Tillicoultry, county Clackmannan, Scotland, 4 miles N. of Clackmannan, near the river Devon."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]