Built in 1758 for Coalyland Pit workers as Front Row and Back Row but other rows were added later, as successive Coalyland Pits were sunk. The houses were a mixture of stone and brick. There was a post office and a school.
[Sauchie and Alloa - A People's History - John Adamson 1988]
Ruins of miners cottages were evident until the 1980s but little now remains of this mining village.