Link to maps of Menstrie

MENSTRIE

"A village in Alva parish, on the Stirling-to-Kinross road, is engaged in the woollen manufacture. Like the other villages and towns along the foot of the Ochils, Menstrie has a very beautiful situation."

[Clackmannan and Kinross by J.P.Day B.A. B Sc., 1915 ]

"MENSTRY, (or Menstrie), a village in the parish of Logie, county Clackmannan, Scotland, 5 miles N.W. of Clackmannan, and 2 from Alva. It is a station on the Alva section of the Edinburgh and Glasgow railway. It is situated at the base of the Ochil hills, on the road from Stirling to Dollar. A large portion of the inhabitants are employed in blanket and woollen weaving.

From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.

The Parish of Alva was originally under the jurisdiction of Stirling County - see the GENUKI Alva (Stirlingshire) page. However, the parish became a part of Clackmannanshire in 1891 when changes were made by the Boundary Commission.

The Parish of Logie became a part of Clackmannanshire in 1891 when changes were made by the Boundary Commission. However, the parish was under the jurisdiction of Stirling County in 1868 when the National Gazetteer was published - see the GENUKI Logie (Stirlingshire) page.

Menstrie Castle was where Sir William Alexander, the first Earl of Stirling, was born. He was Secretary of State for Scotland, 1626-1640, one of the leaders of the enterprise for colonising Nova Scotia. The castle has now been restored to nearer its former self, after years of neglect.

General Sir Ralph Abercrombie (1734-1801), who won a famous victory over the French at Abouker Bay was also born in Menstrie.

Glenochil distillery, at the east end of the town was founded in 1760. It is now part of United Distillers.

Menstrie is now in Alva parish.

For more on Menstrie see the Edinburgh University Scottish Gazetteer.

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)