[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"APPLEGARTH, a parish in Annandale, in the county of Dumfries, Scotland, 10 miles to the N.E. of Dumfries. The Caledonian railway traverses the parish, and has a station at Nethercleuch. The Edinburgh and Carlisle turnpike road also passes through it. The Man occupies a tract of country between the rivers Man and Dryfe, which unite a little below the village. The old parish of Sibbaldbe and the chapelry of Dinwoodie are included in Applegarth. The soil is fertile and under good cultivation, and the ground rises, at Dinwoodie Hill, to the height of 736 feet. The living, value £250, is in the presbytery of Lochmaben, and in the patronage of Sir W. Jardine, Bart., and Johnstone of Annandale. Jardine Hall and Hook House are the principal seats."
"DINWOODIE, a chapelry in the parish of Applegarth, in the county of Dumfries, Scotland, 4 miles S. of Wamphray. It is a station on the Caledonian railway."
"DUNWOODIE, a parish joined to Applegarth, in the county of Dumfries, Scotland."
"SIBBALDIE, an ancient parish in the county of Dumfries, Scotland, 4 miles N. of Lockerby. It is now joined to Applegarth."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]